CP, Anambra, Orders Investigation Into Attacks On Herders.

By Sarah Ezeh.

The Commissioner of Police in Anambra, Ikioye Orutugu, has ordered a full-scale investigation and directed security operatives to intensify efforts to track down the suspects who attacked cattle herders in a settlement in Agu-Ifite, Awka.

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) said in a statement that gunmen, on Tuesday, killed four herders, burnt two residential hurts and slaughtered several cattle.

According to MACBAN, the victims, identified as Mohammed Bujumi, Hassan Bujumi, Abubakar Bujumi and Sani Bujumi, were brothers from the same family.

The attack occurred at the cattle camp of Alhaji Aminu Mohammed in Ifite Awka, Awka South Local Government Area, prompting the Anambra State Police Command to launch a manhunt for the attackers.

The association’s National Deputy Director-General, Alhaji Gidado Siddiki, said several cattle were also killed during the attack, adding that the assailants slaughtered some of the animals and reportedly fled with portions of the meat towards neighbouring Mgbakwu community.

“One of the herders narrowly escaped the attack,” Siddiki said, describing the incident as a “heinous and senseless attack” and urging security agencies to investigate the killings, apprehend the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

A surviving herder told journalists that the attackers killed the four brothers and slaughtered seven cattle before security operatives arrived at the scene.

He alleged that the gunmen exchanged fire with soldiers who accompanied the security team but fled after encountering superior firepower.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said operatives of the police-led Joint Security Team responded to a distress call and discovered four male victims with fatal injuries.

Ikenga said preliminary investigations revealed that the victims had their hands tied and suffered multiple injuries, including machete cuts and blunt-force trauma. He added that two residential huts within the settlement were set ablaze during the attack.

According to the police, four dead cows were recovered at the scene, while two other cattle had been slaughtered and portions of the meat removed by the attackers. Several sacks containing abandoned chunks of meat were also found nearby.

Ikenga said initial findings indicated that the attackers were armed with sophisticated weapons, including AK-47 rifles, pump-action shotguns, double-barrel guns and machetes.

He added that one survivor escaped unharmed and is assisting investigators with information that could help identify the attackers.

“The Anambra State Police Command condemns the gruesome attack on the settlement and has commenced a comprehensive investigation to identify and apprehend those responsible,” Ikenga said.

MACBAN urged its members to remain calm, avoid reprisals and cooperate with security agencies as investigations continue. The association also called on the Anambra State Government to strengthen security measures to protect lives and property.

The group commended the Joint Task Force and the state government for their swift response in recovering the bodies of the victims.

Police said they had conveyed condolences to the affected families through the Sarkin Fulani in Anambra State and reiterated their commitment to ensuring that those responsible for the attack are identified, arrested and prosecuted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *