Magnus Aluma
The Ebonyi South Youths Assembly (ESYA), has faulted a publication by a national newspaper (not Anchor Reporters) alleging that ₦50 billion earmarked for the Ebonyi Air Project was missing.
In a statement issued on Friday by the National President of the Assembly, Comrade Odii Njoku, the group said the newspaper relied on unverified social media rumours, allegations, and opposition narratives, without any documented evidence to support the claim.
According to the group, the report failed to meet the fundamental principles of journalism, including fairness, balance, accuracy and verification.
The Assembly faulted the publication for depending on comments from opposition politicians and government critics, without official clarifications, before going to press.
It stated that major aviation projects require regulatory approvals, technical evaluations, procurement processes and other institutional procedures.
The ESYA added that absence of visible public activities on the project does not mean diversion of public funds.
“The Ebonyi Air initiative remains a strategic investment designed to position the state as an emerging economic hub,” the Group explained.
It observed that governance and large-scale infrastructure projects follow clearly defined implementation stages.
The group further stated that there was no evidence from budget documents, procurement records, audit reports or anti-corruption agencies proving that the funds had been stolen or misappropriated.
It accused the newspaper of amplifying social media commentaries and politically motivated allegations, against evidence-based investigation.
Defending the state government, the youth body said Governor Francis Nwifuru, has demonstrated prudence, transparency and commitment to development since he assumed office.
“The ongoing investments in road infrastructure, healthcare, education, industrialisation, housing, agriculture, youth empowerment, water supply and social welfare under the People’s Charter of Needs Agenda are enough evidence of Governor Nwifuru’s good performance,” they emphasised.
The Assembly condemned the increasing use of unverified reports by journalists to misinform the public.
“We are calling on the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), the Nigerian Press Council (NPC), the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) and other professional bodies to strengthen ethical trainings and regular orientation programmes for media practitioners, to safeguard the credibility of the profession,” the Group stressed.
The group also urged the newspaper to ensure greater editorial scrutiny, for balanced reporting, and told the people that the state government
remains committed to transparency, accountability and sustainable development.
It further encouraged the public to disregard speculative reports and continue to support the developmental programmes of government across the state.













Leave a Reply