The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre, RULAAC, has called on the Imo State Police Command to immediately disclose the reasons for the arrest and continued detention of Mr. Okolie Christian Mmaduabuchukwu.
Okolie is the Security Coordinator of Obor Autonomous Community, Orlu Local Government Area of Imo State.
RULAAC is also demanding that the police investigate the circumstances of his reported abduction before he was taken into police custody.
Executive Director of RULAAC, Okechukwu Nwanguma spelt out these demands in release made available to Anchor Reporters on Thursday.
The release reads:
“On the night of 5 August 2026, RULAAC received credible information that Mr. Okolie was allegedly seized from his residence in Obor Autonomous Community, Umutanze, Orlu LGA, by Mr. Chibuike Duru, popularly known as “Nwamgbenta,” accompanied by unidentified persons.
“At the time, his whereabouts were unknown, prompting RULAAC to issue an urgent public alert and notify the Imo State Police Command and other relevant security agencies.
“Following RULAAC’s inquiries with police authorities in Imo State, including officers at the former Tiger Base facility, members of Mr. Okolie’s family subsequently confirmed that he was allowed to make a telephone call during which he informed them that he was being held at Tiger Base.
“The family has further informed RULAAC that they have received information suggesting that Mr. Okolie has allegedly been subjected to severe torture while in custody.
“They fear that, but for the prompt public alert issued by RULAAC immediately after his reported abduction, he might have been killed or forcibly disappeared. These allegations are grave and require urgent, independent investigation,” RULAAC said.
RULAAC said that there were disturbing and persistent allegations surrounding the role played by Mr. Chibuike Duru (“Nwamgbenta”), who has been identified by multiple sources as the person who allegedly led the operation that took Mr. Okolie from his home.
“RULAAC has received information from legal practitioners and community members indicating that Mr. Duru is facing allegations in pending proceedings before the High Court sitting in Njaba involving the alleged disappearance of several persons.
“We have also received reports that he has previously been arrested on multiple occasions following complaints by members of the Njaba community and the diaspora, but was each time released under circumstances that have fueled public suspicion and concern.
“In addition, there are longstanding allegations that Mr. Duru has operated an illegal detention facility, unlawfully detained individuals, and has been linked to enforced disappearances and other serious crimes in parts of Njaba Local Government Area.
“There are also allegations that he has operated from facilities associated with the Njaba Local Government security structure.
“While these allegations remain to be established through due process, they are too serious to be ignored and warrant a comprehensive criminal investigation,” RULAAC said.
The rights body pointed out if Mr. Okolie was indeed taken from his residence by Mr. Duru and his associates before ending up in police custody, the Police owe the public an explanation.
“The circumstances under which a private individual allegedly apprehended a citizen and delivered him into police custody must be fully investigated.
“The Nigeria Police Force must not permit private actors, vigilante leaders or politically connected individuals to exercise powers of arrest, detention or punishment outside the framework of the law.”
RULAAC called on the Commissioner of Police, Imo State, to immediately inform Mr. Okolie’s family of the offence for which he is being detained and state the legal basis for his arrest and the intended course of action of the police
The organisation also asked the police to guarantee Okolie’s safety and ensure that he is protected from torture and other forms of ill-treatment.
Other demands made by RULAAC include that the police grant his family and lawyers immediate access to him and investigate the allegations that he was unlawfully abducted before being transferred into police custody.
RULAAC also calls on the police to conduct a thorough, impartial and independent investigation into the alleged activities of Mr. Chibuike Duru (“Nwamgbenta”), including allegations of unlawful detention and enforced disappearances.












Leave a Reply