A Vacation Judge in Owerri, Imo State, on Wednesday, adjourned to 11 August 2026 for the hearing of the necessary motions relating to service on the suits filed by the Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) against the Tiger Base Unit of the Imo State Police Command.
RULAAC filed the four fundamental rights enforcement suits on behalf of eight identified victims, all from of Imo State, who allege grave violations of their constitutionally guaranteed fundamental rights by officers attached to the police unit.
During proceedings, the court observed that only one proof of service had been filed in each suit, rather than separate proofs of service showing service on all the respondents.
The court further directed counsel to the applicants, Mr. Chinedu Agu, to take additional steps regarding service on the Nigeria Police Force, the Police Service Commission and the Inspector-General of Police.
Although Order V Rule 2 of the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules permits service on the Nigeria Police Force through the Commissioner of Police as its agent, the Court advised counsel to, out of an abundance of caution, file an application for substituted service on the Inspector-General of Police, the Police Service Commission and the Nigeria Police Force.
The National Human Rights Commission was represented by two lawyers who attended the proceedings to monitor the cases.
Several private legal practitioners also attended in solidarity with the victims.
In a significant development, a number of individuals who identified themselves as victims of Tiger Base appeared in court after learning of the proceedings through social media.
They approached applicants’ counsel to express their interest in joining the litigation.
However, RULAAS said in a statement that it was unclear at the close of proceedings what position it would take regarding these requests by the victims, who sought to be joined in the suits.
“Given the sui generis nature of fundamental rights enforcement proceedings, joinder may not be procedurally straightforward.
“Where additional victims present distinct claims supported by credible evidence, RULAAC may consider instituting separate fundamental rights actions to ensure that every alleged violation receives proper judicial consideration,” RULAAC said in the statement issued by its Executive Director, Okechukwu Nwanguma.
Civil society organisations also attended the proceedings in solidarity with the victims. One of them, Onurube, was represented by Mrs. Marjorie Ezihe and Mr. Chimezie Ebosie.
“RULAAC remains committed to pursuing justice for victims of human rights violations and to ensuring accountability for abuses allegedly committed by law enforcement officers.
“The organisation will continue to keep the public informed as the cases progress,” the rights body said.













Leave a Reply