Blogger Remanded Over Alleged False Publications Against Governor Soludo

By Sarah Ezeh

A Magistrate Court in Amawbia, Anambra State, has remanded publisher and blogger Ejike Ofoegbu, publisher of Igbo Times Magazine and INews, over allegations of cyberstalking, criminal defamation, identity theft and the publication of false information allegedly targeting Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, his wife and their son, Ozonna Soludo.

The remand order was issued on Monday by Magistrate C.O. Ezekwere pending the completion of police investigations and legal advice from the Anambra State Attorney General.

Ofoegbu was arraigned in Suit No. M/W/3136/2026 following a petition alleging that he published false and defamatory content capable of damaging the reputation of the Anambra governor, his wife and their son, Ozonna Soludo.

The prosecution, led by A.A. Nwanri, argued that Ofoegbu deliberately created and circulated fabricated stories across online platforms to generate internet traffic, increase readership and derive financial benefits through digital engagement.

Among the publications cited by prosecutors were claims that Governor Soludo had publicly disowned his son, that Ozonna Soludo had described his father as “a drunkard who beat my mom,” and that the governor had engaged in a drinking competition with a serving Nigerian minister.

Prosecutors described the reports as entirely false, malicious and intended to damage the governor’s reputation.

The prosecution said the alleged offences contravened provisions of Nigeria’s Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024, including Section 24(1)(b) on cyberstalking and Section 38 on identity theft and impersonation, as well as Sections 373 and 375 of the Criminal Code dealing with criminal defamation.

Testifying before the court, Governor Soludo’s Chief Security Officer, O.K. Nkuma, said the governor alerted him to the publications, which he described as offensive and unverifiable.

Nkuma told the court that investigators reviewed the alleged offensive content posted on Ofoegbu’s Facebook page and INews platform before forwarding the material to the police.

He added that investigators tracked the defendant’s telephone to neighbouring Imo State, where he was arrested.

The investigating police officer, Inspector Tochukwu Echemagu of the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID), said police received a complaint on July 9, 2026, alleging cyberstalking, false publication and defamation.

According to Echemagu, Ofoegbu admitted making the publications after his arrest.

Defence counsel I.C. Machie urged the court to exercise its discretion under the Cybercrimes Act in considering the defendant’s application for bail.

However, Magistrate Ezekwere ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction to hear the substantive charges and consequently declined to entertain the bail application.

He directed the defendant to seek bail before the High Court of Anambra State.

The court ordered prosecutors to compile and transmit the original police case file and all exhibits to the Office of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice for legal advice, while forwarding the record of proceedings to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The magistrate also entered the governor’s Chief Security Officer and the investigating police officer into recognisance to testify before the High Court whenever required during the proceedings.

The case was adjourned until July 27, 2026, for a report on compliance with the court’s directives.

The prosecution maintained that Ofoegbu had previously issued a public apology and retracted the disputed publications, but argued that the retraction does not extinguish alleged criminal liability under Nigeria’s Cybercrimes Act and Criminal Code.

Following the court proceedings, the Anambra State Police Command confirmed that Ofoegbu had been remanded in a correctional facility after being transferred from the Department of State Services (DSS) and formally arraigned.

The police said they would refrain from further comments to avoid prejudicing the ongoing judicial process and urged journalists and members of the public to verify information before publication and comply with applicable media and cybercrime laws.

The allegations against Ofoegbu remain before the courts, and no determination has yet been made on the merits of the criminal charges.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *