Mary Habila: Umahi Breaks Silence, Dismisses Foul Play

Minister of Works, David Umahi on Thursday spoke publicly for the first time on the death of Mary Habila, a 26-year-old nurse, dismissing attempts to link him to the incident as politically motivated.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, Umahi said Ms. Habila, whom he said was “like a daughter to me” had worked closely with him for about three years and was one of his most trusted staff members.

He insisted that there was no evidence of foul play and urged Nigerians to allow security agencies to complete their investigation.

The minister clarified that the deceased was a nurse employed by the Federal University of Health Sciences, Ebonyi State, and not a physiotherapist as previously reported.

According to Umahi, Habila had a history of medical challenges and had been receiving treatment at a Turkish hospital, with her medical expenses fully covered by him.

He revealed that shortly before her death, Habila reportedly informed her boyfriend during a telephone conversation that she was experiencing a nosebleed.

The minister said that the boyfriend allegedly advised her to seek medical attention, but communication ceased after she said she was going to take a bath.

Umahi explained that after repeated calls to her phone went unanswered, concerned colleagues forced open her room and found her lifeless, while the bathroom tap was still running.

The minister emphasized that the guest house where the incident occurred was designated for staff and medical personnel and was located some distance from his private residence, insisting that attempts to personally implicate him were unfair and unfounded.

Describing Habila as a hardworking and dedicated employee, Umahi said her death had deeply affected him.

He appealed to Ms. Habila’s family to consent to a forensic autopsy to determine the exact cause of death, disclosing that he had directed that her body should not be released for burial until the examination is conducted.

According to him, the autopsy has been delayed because the family objected on cultural grounds.

Umahi also disclosed that he requested the Inspector-General of Police to transfer the investigation to Abuja to ensure a more comprehensive and transparent probe, while facilitating discussions with the bereaved family.

He further stated that Habila had experienced similar episodes of nosebleeding during previous official trips and urged investigators to examine the telephone records between the deceased and her boyfriend, saying they could provide valuable insight into her final moments.

While reiterating that investigations should proceed without interference, the minister said the preliminary information available to him did not suggest any criminal activity.

He also condemned the circulation of photographs allegedly taken at the mortuary, accusing some individuals of exploiting the tragedy to spread misinformation and tarnish reputations.

Umahi warned that his legal team would take action against individuals and media organisations found to have published or circulated false or defamatory information regarding the case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *