By Sarah Ezeh
The Anambra State security outfit, Agunechemba Security Squad, says it has dismantled suspected gunmen’s camps in Orumba North and Orumba South Local Government Areas.
The outfit also said that it recovered a cache of sophisticated weapons, including two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs) and locally made rocket launchers, in a major security operation.
The recovered rocket launchers have been handed over to the Nigerian Army, according to a press release issued by Agunechemba’s Publicity Secretary, Mr. Nweke Nweke.
He said the operation followed days of intelligence gathering and undercover surveillance at major security flashpoints across Anambra South Senatorial District, describing it as a significant breakthrough in ongoing efforts to combat violent crime in the state.
According to the release, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, commended Anambra State Governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, for the operations of the Agunechemba Security Squad and reaffirmed the Nigerian Army’s commitment to strengthening collaboration with the outfit and other security agencies in tackling criminality.
“The Agunechemba Security Squad has recorded another major success in the fight against insecurity following the dislodgement of camps of gunmen in Orumba North and South Local Government Areas and the recovery of a cache of arms, including two General Purpose Machine Guns and locally made rocket launchers, which have been handed over to the Nigerian Army,” the release said.
Nweke said the operation underscored the security outfit’s commitment to supporting law enforcement efforts and improving public safety across the state.
He disclosed that the formal handover of the recovered weapons took place on Saturday at the office of Agunechemba’s Director of Operations in Awka and was led by Chief Chinenye Ihenko.
Speaking during the handover, Ihenko, who represented the Governor’s Special Adviser on Community Security, Kenneth Emeakayi, described the transfer of the weapons as evidence of the growing partnership between the state-backed security outfit and the Nigerian Army.
He stressed the importance of sustained collaboration with federal security agencies in addressing insecurity and pledged continued joint operations to secure communities across the state.
Ihenko described the operation as one of Agunechemba’s most successful missions, noting that operatives completed the assignment without casualties despite coming under attack from suspected gunmen.
According to him, the attackers fled with injuries after abandoning the weapons.
He commended Governor Soludo for supporting the operations of the security outfit, saying the backing had strengthened efforts to reclaim areas previously affected by criminal activities, particularly in Orumba North, Orumba South, Ihiala and Ogbaru Local Government Areas.
Ihenko appealed to residents to continue providing credible information to security agencies, stressing that tackling insecurity requires the support and cooperation of local communities.
Also speaking, the Commander of the 302 Artillery Regiment (General Support), Onitsha, Colonel Buteus Yakubu, represented by Lieutenant P.O. Idowu, commended Agunechemba for the successful operation.
He said the Nigerian Army remained committed to sustaining collaboration with Agunechemba and the Nigeria Police Force in Anambra State to strengthen security and combat criminal activities.













Leave a Reply